Friday, September 5, 2008

Meet the Guys


Chad Merica

So this is the “real world”. I suppose I should introduce myself to the “real world” to start things off. I’m Chad Merica, born and raised in Shenandoah, Virginia (It’s near Luray Caverns; I actually spent 7 summers of my life working there.) The last four years of my life have been spent at The University of Virginia working with our local One In Four chapter and serving as a student manager for our football team. Needless to say, the combination of those two activities left very little time for anything else; I wouldn’t have changed a thing though. Why am I here in Williamsburg living in a Super 8 Hotel and an RV with three other men? The adventure an opportunity it provides. The opportunity to work to prevent rape, change our culture, and simply make things better, coupled with a trip crossing the country; Yea, sounds awesome to me.

While the time in Williamsburg has been incredibly valuable as we prepare to travel, it has also been difficult at times. I think we are all ready to hit the road and present to a few more people than just Adam, his two- liter bottle of Pepsi, and his alternate personalities during the question and answer portion of a program. It’s also been exciting to be thrust into a situation with three new roommates, two of whom I’d only spoken to on the phone and through email before arriving. I honestly believe things will work well though as our personalities mesh in a positive way, oh, and we all plan to be the best presenting RV team yet (Sorry teams 1-4, the sooner you accept that fact, the easier it will be.). Overall, it appears as if the next 9 and a ½ months will be some of the of the most exciting, interesting, and enriching of my life.

Frank Higginbotham

Hello bloggers! First off I’m gonna go ahead and tell you, I’m not a blogger, I never really knew was it was until the rest of the guys told me, essentially I took away that it was basically an online journal for all to read. So…my name is Frank, I’m from Charlotte, NC and went to UNCW about 200 miles east of home. I graduated with a degree in exercise science and am completely psyched about the chance to be a national One in Four peer educator. I got into One in Four on my campus. We just started a chapter my senior year and I really liked the message that it sent. I had also seen tour 3 and tour 4 at UNCW, so the group wasn’t unfamiliar to me. When tour 4 came back to UNCW, I already knew Jor-El (he was my RA my freshman year) and he gave me info about the National Tour. I got excited about it and now here I am. I’m adjusting pretty well, and I like all the guys. I know it will be a life rewarding experience that I can’t wait for!

Rob Powell

I'm Rob Powell from the grand town of Columbus, Georgia (birthplace of Coca-Cola and home to Carson McCullers). I graduated from Berry College in Rome, Georgia with a degree in Communication. While at Berry, I enjoyed many activities including swinging from trees as an adventure course facilitator, serving soup and salad as a waiter at a Japanese Steakhouse, planning events for the WinShape College Program, and preparing piping-hot coffee beverages as a Starbuck's barista. I also served for two and a half years as a victim advocate and community educator for the Sexual Assault Center of Northwest Georgia. It was here that I developed an intense desire to lend his voice to the struggle against sexual violence. The RV Tour thrills me both for the incredible adventure and the opportunity to reach so many for a cause so important.

Carter Shotwell

I'm Carter Shotwell, and I grew up in Richmond, Virginia. I went to the College of William and Mary and graduated with a degree in neuroscience. While I was there I was a four-year member of One in Four where I served as Training Coordinator and as President. I also coached our women's Club Softball Team and was a member of VOX: Voices for Planned Parenthood. When I'm not out fighting the lions of injustice, you can usually find me at home, cooking something delicious and then playing Spades well into the night.

No comments: